For the month of November, “Movember” is a special event that thousands of men take part of in Australia and around the world. The men are responsible for growing a moustache to bring awareness for prostate cancer and depression in men. Everyone must start clean-shaven to begin the event on November 1st. At the end of the month, there are celebrations and parties to attend.
Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November and through their actions and words raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men's health.
Luke and several of his coworkers took part in Movember and created their own team, “I’m Sexy and I MO it!” J (I know you're all singing along now!) Please enjoy the pictures below of Luke and his special ‘stache he grew. I should mention that I was back in the US for almost half of the month so I received weekly pictures of the MO and even had the privilege of seeing it in person when I returned at the beginning of December. That’s right, he was so kind to SAVE the shaving until after I had been back for about a week!
Sculpture by the Sea
For most of the month of November there is a special exhibit on at Bondi Beach called Sculpture by the Sea. Area artists have their sculptures along a 2km stretch from Bondi Beach to Tamarama. The first weekend the exhibit opened we decided to spend the afternoon at the beach for a picnic lunch and then did the coastal walk to see the artwork.
Australian Open
Luke informed me that although everyone around us continued to take pictures with their phones and cameras, he wanted us to follow the rules and be respectful of the golfers by NOT. I followed his directions but took every opportunity to snap a few shots when it was appropriate!
KSU visitors
As you may remember from a few months ago, we were invited to attend an alumni event hosted by the Kansas State President, Kirk Schulz while he and a few other university staff members were visiting Australia. Since that time, Erin has become the Australia K State Alumni President and began working on contacting the known K Staters in the country to notify them of our new spirit club! We had a second event one evening in November when several more university guests came for another visit. Erin planned a fantastic event at one of our favorite pubs. We were excited to see that the university had even made us our own banner to signify our official new group over here!
Lisa’s Visit Home
Every visit back home is memorable and very important for me, but this trip was in particular because the next time we visit we'll have an extra special visitor to bring along!
Back in Oz
I returned to Australia at the beginning of December. We attended Cerner’s Christmas party that week and also celebrated Erin’s birthday. I brought back a yellow cake mix from the US so I could make her favorite- yellow cake with chocolate frosting cupcakes. YUM!
A few new words:
tanty = tantrum
cling film = cling wrap
paddle pop stick = popsicle stick
Back in Oz
I returned to Australia at the beginning of December. We attended Cerner’s Christmas party that week and also celebrated Erin’s birthday. I brought back a yellow cake mix from the US so I could make her favorite- yellow cake with chocolate frosting cupcakes. YUM!
Our favorite little coffee shop had a little surprise waiting for us right before they closed for the Christmas holidays. Another reason we love that place!
tanty = tantrum
cling film = cling wrap
paddle pop stick = popsicle stick



















I LOVE the Sculpture by the Sea. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteZach always participates in No-Shave November--but I don't know if that was started because of prostrate cancer awareness or not...
Hmmmm...I'll have to ask him about that. And it is not just a mustache--but a full face of hair. Or as much as you can grow.
I am loving catching up on your blog!