I added this blurb from my “Boxing Day” blog from last year to bring you up to speed.
Boxing Day is celebrated on December 26th in Australia and a few other countries. I have asked numerous Aussie’s, old and young to please explain what it is exactly and not one of them could give me a clear idea as to where it originated from. I’ve also looked online and found very different versions of what it is and why it is celebrated. Here are the basics and my take on what I’ve found out. Although it is called Boxing Day, there is no sport of boxing on this day, however, this is a big day to watch Cricket and the Sydney to Hobart Sailing Race. It’s also an extra holiday for everyone to get the day off. It is a holiday of British origin and has to do with giving presents to the less fortunate. Boxes of food, fruit, and gifts were also given to servants and tradespeople the day after Christmas as an expression of gratitude to those who worked for them. Gifts done up in “boxes” hence, Boxing Day. That’s all I’ve got for you on this for now, sorry! Last year on Boxing Day Luke and I were on a 55 foot sailboat enjoying a front row spot at the beginning of the race. We were so happy that we had already had that experience so that we knew what all the excitement was about. This year our friends, Kim and Bryan, had a little Boxing Day party at their apartment in Manly. They have an incredible view and we were able to see the boats as they raced through the harbour. We had another entertaining day spending time with our friends here!
The next day, Luke and I spent the day working on the nursery. Check out the “Bub Update” blog for that news.
We are trying to accomplish many things before the baby arrives and we were able to cross off a few things this week. We went to a comedy show at the Opera House one night with Kim, Bryan, and Kim’s mom who was here visiting. We also took a ferry to Watson’s Bay one day to have a fish and chips picnic before doing an 8km beach hike to Bondi Beach. We had incredible views along our walk and enjoyed seeing the city from yet another area. When we made it to Bondi we saw a restaurant called, The Beach Burrito Company. I had heard of it but didn’t know where it was. So after a long day of walking, this mama needed to refuel! Luke and I are both huge fans of Chipotle and they of course don’t have them over here. I would say that this was a very close comparison and tasted pretty amazing to me! Luke also washed his burrito down with a Pacifico. Don’t ask how much that cost us! J
No comments:
Post a Comment