Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Friday, January 6, 2012

Bub Update

Many of you have been emailing and asking how I am feeling and how things are going.  Thank you for that!  I am actually feeling really good this week despite the hot weather that finally showed up!  A few weeks ago, I wasn’t feeling too well for the first time but I think I was adjusting from my long flight back from the US as well as the aches and pains of growing a lot at the beginning of my third trimester!  I guess my biggest complaint these days is just the discomfort of trying to sleep.  Oh, and hearing too many people say, “Wow!  You’re getting BIG!!!!” I know it shouldn’t hurt my feelings because I know no one truly means to, but hey, I’m extra sensitive and emotional right now so I’m entitled to cringe when I hear it, right?!  The good news about that comment is that I’m getting “BIG” for an awesome reason and the baby is growing just as he/she should be.  J YAY!!

I am at the end of 31 weeks this week and time seems to be flying by.  At our last two appointments I was measuring a few weeks ahead of schedule but our doctor said it’s nothing to worry about at this time.  I think we are expecting a big bub to grace us with his/her presence and that will be just fine! 
By the way, I am starting to think we are having a boy.  No real reason except I think it’s already got size 13 feet like Daddy!  The nonstop kicking and jabs to my ribs are convincing me more and more each day.  We’ll see.  I get stopped frequently by strangers at the grocery store, on the bus, walking around, and even some taxi drivers throw in their two cents about “why they are SURE I’m having a…”  I just smile, nod, and say thank you and go on with my day.  We really are so thrilled to just have a healthy baby that we don’t mind if it’s a boy or a girl.  Oh the suspense!!!

I am going to the chiropractor every 2-3 weeks which is also very helpful.  We really miss having Luke’s dad do our adjustments but I’m thankful to have this doctor while we are here…even if she doesn’t quite live up to what we’ve been lucky to have for so long!  Our insurance covers chiropractor and massage visits so I have also been encouraged to get prenatal massages.  I am quite happy to say that the “encouragement” to get the massages has come from the chiropractor, doctor, AND Luke.  ;)

Luke and I both continue to keep up on the reading of our several baby books and useful websites.  We are now switching gears to the ones for after the bub has arrived though.  I know, I know, the books are only for guidance and not for exactly how it will be!  We like to sit on the couch watching my belly move all around wondering what in the heck that little guy/gal is up to.  We’re really just relishing each of these moments as we know we’ll be learning first hand before we know it.   
It's funny that in some of these early pictures I thought I was already "big." I guess I wanted to begin showing for so long that any sign of the bump was exciting.  Now there is no doubt that we are on the downhill slope of this journey!  We have been taking a picture each week since the very beginning.  I added a few below for you.
21 Weeks

 24 Weeks

 28 Weeks

 30 Weeks

31 Weeks

It has been nice to have Luke at home over the holidays while he had some time off so we could do some shopping and get the nursery started.  We were finally able to buy our cot (crib), mattress, pram (stroller), and the bedding with almost all the matching décor!  I was able to get several items in the US while I was at home which has helped.  We’ve also been very fortunate to have wonderful families who have been purchasing items to send over.  Erin was even able to bring back a full suitcase of baby items for us after I sent Angie on a little shopping spree!  We have found a few baby stores here that we like but they are way more expensive than the US and it’s been hard to find a few of the items that we had already picked out.  I also loved bringing back the items from my baby showers to show Luke and decide where they will go. 

One day last week we were ready to tackle the nursery which until now has been the home of Luke’s office, Lisa’s school stuff, Luke’s closet, storage for random things and suitcases, and where we like to set up the drying rack to dry our clothes.  We both found a new location for the majority of the items.  You will see in the picture below the disaster we had to make in the living room first! 
Luke got started on putting together the cot and I was able to assist him.  The room started coming together once we made the bed and moved our new rocking chair in the room.  Because we are renting, we aren’t able to paint or do anything too fancy to change up the room but we got some cute stick on wall decals that go with the bedding theme.  We still are on the hunt for a small dresser that will also be the changing table and a small bookshelf.  I repeat the word, “small” because the room doesn’t have much extra space but we are so thankful that we have this extra bedroom that is perfect for a nursery.  I’d love to get everything organized and put away in the next few weeks. 






 The disaster of items that had to come out of the nursery to find a new location!


We attended our first of two full days of childbirth classes that our hospital provides.  I’m sure you will not be shocked to hear that Luke and I were the only people in the class with our notebooks and pens taking notes!  Luke is once again impressing me with his extra involvement and excitement in being as prepared as he can.  I love it!  The class provided many answers for us and it was nice to get a tour of the maternity floor and delivery suites we’ll be in.  Our doctor’s office is actually in the hospital which is even more reassuring to have her so close by.  Oh, I also now have an app for my iPhone to time my contractions which was recommended by the midwives at the hospital.  Wow!
We want to thank everyone again for the generosity of your shower gifts.  We really appreciated it and cannot wait to share pictures with you of everything once they are in full use.  I also have to give an extra thank you to Marcee, Lori, and Tara for lending me maternity clothes so I didn’t have to buy anymore over here. 

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers as we await our big day.  Don’t forget to send me your baby/parenting advice if you want me to add it to the book my friends gave me! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update on Bub. Nursery looks grand, and I'm sure "little Lucas" will enjoy it.
    By the way, you're not "big"-- you're just short and the only place Baby can go is out! (I had the same problem "a few" years ago too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I miss you! Be expecting a package from me soon;)

    ReplyDelete