Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

We're Having A Joey!!

We’re having a joey!!!!! J  As you all are well aware by now, Luke and I are expecting Baby Lucas on March 8, 2012.  We are so excited to be parents and we were thrilled to finally be able to share our news with all of you a couple of months ago. 

I am in my 22nd week and feeling much better now that I’m well into my second trimester.  Teaching full time each week intensifies my exhaustion, but I’m doing really well besides that.  Luke and I are both always adjusting to the interesting symptoms, mood swings, and all the other things that go along with pregnancy that neither of us knew about!  And yes, our weekend adventures have drastically changed in the last several months from Luke’s surgery and from me being pregnant!

We have had a few doctor’s appointments and really like her and the hospital where I will deliver.  She does a sonogram at each appointment and prints out the pictures so we have been able to see the baby as it grows and changes throughout the entire time so far.  Things were a little stressful at first because we had to choose a doctor, a hospital, and make several other important decisions immediately after we found out I was pregnant and we were clueless!  We even had to book my hospital room when I was only 7 weeks along!  We have a great support system of friends over here now which will be very comforting when the baby arrives. 

Luke and I instantly started reading books, magazines, websites, and consulting our close friends and family when we had specific questions.  The week we found out, Luke even got his own new dad book called, “Man With a Pram” so that he could be prepared with what pregnancy was going to be like for us each week and month. J  He has been doing endless research on prams (strollers), cots (cribs), and all other necessary baby items so that we can find the best ones out there.  He even stops new moms pushing their prams and gets their opinion if he sees the brands we are interested in!  I appreciate his eagerness so much!  I am so thankful that he is just as excited as I am. 

After an uneventful shopping excursion to start buying maternity clothes, Luke could see my frustration and disappointment.  There aren’t a lot of options at the stores I’ve been to and when I found a few things I liked, the prices were outrageous!  These are the days I’m missing Target, TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Gap, and Old Navy so I can just get a few decent and inexpensive things.  One day when I got home from school, Luke surprised me with a cute black dress that he bought at a little maternity boutique close to our apartment.  He did a great job!  J  I have had several friends offer to let me borrow items and Lori already sent me several things so I should be set for now.  With a hot summer coming soon over here, I don’t plan on needing much more than some comfy summer dresses and anything that keeps me from feeling too hot and miserable.

We did not find out the sex of the baby.  I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who support this decision and are just as excited for that secret surprise, too!  Our friend, Erin started referring to the baby as “Ameribub.” I love it!  This way we don’t have to say “it” all the time.  Many of you have expressed your excitement about the baby having dual citizenship.  Unfortunately, either Luke or I would have to have Australian citizenship for this to happen.  As of now, this will not be the case but we will let you know if we do decide to.  We still think it will be fun for our child to have the opportunity to say, “I was born in Australia.” when he or she is asked to share something unique about themselves someday! 

We love the numerous K State onesies that Baby Lucas has already received.  He or she will look great cheering along with us!  Thank you for the many cards, fun and useful baby items, and helpful books that have been arriving.  We really appreciate your excitement from afar.

While I was in New Zealand, Luke went to a big baby show in Darling Harbour to check things out.  He picked up several items for us to have a look at and signed up for heaps of contests and websites.  I think he secretly enjoyed every minute of it!  J  Last week we attended an event at a baby store at one of the malls.  There was a raffle and we won the big prize.  It is a very nice car seat…for children 4-8 years old!  Not much we can do with that for now.  We’re hoping to find someone who needs it so that we can just purchase one that our baby will be able to actually use. 

I’ve listed a few Aussie baby words in past blogs but I thought I’d list them again and add some new ones we’ve heard since.  Readers, please familiarize yourselves with these for future blogs:

“I fell pregnant” = “I am pregnant”

Mum = mom

bub= baby

capsule = baby car seat

nappie = diaper

pram = stroller

dummy = pacifier

little buggers = children

bunny rug = baby blanket

carry cot = pack n’ play

oldies = parents (I guess that’s going to be us!!)

“wetting the baby’s head” = the father and his friends going out to celebrate the birth of the baby

Let me elaborate on this last one!  “Wetting the baby’s head” is apparently a tradition here that some new dads partake in.  Most often this occurs the night of when the baby is born.  It is for the new dad to go out and celebrate with his mates at a pub over numerous beverages…right after the new mum has given birth…after 9 long months of carrying his child…so that he can drink heavily to celebrate…while the new mum is still in the hospital…hmmm…I’m not sure that this is going to be something that we need to even discuss.  ;) Maybe he will be able to wait until another day to celebrate!

Luke and I have really been looking forward to starting a family and we can’t wait for Baby Lucas to join our Australian Adventures!

The way we announced our news!


 10 Week Sonogram

 20 Week Sonogram

22 Weeks

K State Fan Already!

More fun gifts!

Sharon surprised us with a quilt that she made for the baby!  We love it!!!!!!!

So sweet!


My new dress from Luke

1 comment:

  1. Lisa- so excited for your new bundle of joy! You are going to love the Aden & Anais blankets when it is warm. They are big enough to swaddle, nurse, shade and still loose and light. That is all we use! Ashlyn is hooked and steals the 'muslin' type blankets from all other babies.

    ReplyDelete