Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Teaching Adventures in Oz Continued

In the first few weeks of my subbing experience, I have to admit that I was pretty miserable.  I had a very difficult time adjusting to the way they do things over here and I was just frustrated to not be in control of everything the way I have been used to having my own classroom back home.  Nothing beats having my own classroom and I will appreciate that forever!  This experience has definitely reminded me how important being patient and flexible is, as all good teachers know!  Many mornings I wake up and have to say, “TGIF” (Thank God I’m Flexible!!!!) ;) On several days I didn’t know what grade I would be teaching until I arrived that morning and even if I did know, I would sometimes be asked to teach something else as soon as I arrived…with or without lesson plans prepared which meant I had a very short time to prepare that morning before school began.  I began assuming that this was a good possibility and now I am much more prepared each morning for whatever challenge is presented. J  Phew!  It is so much easier now that I know how the day flows in each grade, what they are learning about, and I am prepared for anything!

I have now taught each grade level (K-6) numerous times.  I have also taught library, art, PE, “Sport,” and been the reading support teacher for Kindergarten.  I’ve even been able to help a student teacher which I have really enjoyed! J I had no idea that I would be getting so much out of this in such a short time.  The majority of students know me now and I always focus on remembering as many names and faces I can. This is helping when I see them around school, in our community, or when I’m back in their classrooms. 


In my other blogs about my teaching experience I mentioned some of the differences.  One thing I didn’t mention is that every Wednesday the students have Scripture for 30 minutes.  Students in each grade level meet with a person from the community in their own religious denomination.  There is even a Non Scripture classroom for those students not participating. 


The other thing I didn’t mention before is that the students are required to where their wide brim hats anytime they are outside.  If they don’t have their hat for recess, lunchtime, PE, or Sport- the policy is that they have to stay in the shade and cannot play out in the open areas.  I would say that 98% of the kids keep them on.  Impressive!  It is part of their school uniform so they cannot just wear any hat from home.  I also wear a hat and my sunnies at recess!  I love it!


I am teaching 4-5 days a week so I am keeping extra busy.  I recently taught a 6th grade class for a 3 week block and then Kindy for a week and a half.  The 6th graders taught me how to play Continuous Cricket one day at Sport and I was able to teach several of them how to play kickball.  Many of them already knew how or at least had a good grasp which made it extra fun!


We had our School Holidays for two weeks September 24-October 9.  So far I really like the year round school concept.  It is very different to think that the school year will be ending in December!  I can’t believe we are already in the last term of the school year.  I am looking forward to Summer Break…that also means Christmas time is almost here!!!! 


My baby bump really just popped out in a matter of days.  I happened to be teaching Kindy that week.  One morning before school even started, a little girl in my class ran over to me and immediately started rubbing my tummy with a big happy smile on her face.  She hugged me and continued to smile and giggle for a few minutes.  I didn’t say anything the whole time.  Mostly I was shocked at my first experience of having a stranger touch my belly!  She finally stopped and looked up at me and asked with a very serious voice, “Is that a REAL baby in there or are you just stretching your tummy out?”  When I said it was a baby she screamed, “You are SOOOOOO lucky!  I just LOVE babies!  I think it’s a boy named Charlie or maybe it’s a girl since you are a girl.  Awww!  I think your baby is going to be so cute!”  I thought that was hysterical.  The best part is that all day long I would catch her just staring at my belly with this happy smile on her face.  So great!! Then of course I was with 6th graders later that week.  They just stared and looked confused so I finally just said, “I am.”  Two of the boys said, “You are having a baby then?  Oh good!  We were wondering but didn’t want to say something in case you weren’t!”  I thought that was very considerate of them.  Then of course they immediately went back to share with their entire classrooms and I had them all run over to check it out for themselves.  They were all very polite and excited to tell me congratulations. 


I admit that I was really struggling with my enjoyment of being a “casual teacher” at the beginning.  I now realize that there were many factors contributing to this- not feeling like myself while adjusting to being newly pregnant, Luke’s back issues and worrying about him, being extra homesick and just the challenges of teaching and planning blindly each day.  I no longer cringe when I get a phone call to teach in 5th or 6th grade!  YAY, ME!!!  I am officially feeling like Mrs. Lucas again and loving what I have missed so much when I am back in the classroom.  (Minus the drama and attitudes of some 6th graders! HA!)  ;)


I also have enjoyed sharing ideas and lessons with the other teachers.  It is so nice to feel included and part of something special to me again!  I am looking forward to teaching as much as I can before Ameribub makes his or her appearance in the upcoming months. 


Listening to Australian accents ALL DAY LONG has given me another opportunity to learn a whole new list of words.  I find myself asking the students what a word means quite often!  Here are the latest:


term = quarter

mark = check (“Let’s mark your papers now.”)

feral = “wild” students

mini beasts = insects

lady bird = ladybug

“I’m busting!” = “I really need to go to the bathroom!!!!”

full stop = a period (“Don’t forget to put a full stop at the end of your sentence.”

dacka = to depants someone

“Oh shivers!” = “Oh no!”

a dobber = a tattletale

dobbing = tattling

stuff it up/muck it up = mess up

back chat = talking back

ice block or icy pole = popsicle

Mufti = wearing casual clothes

nipper = young surf lifesaver

“It’s gone walkabout!” = It’s lost and can’t be found

yabber = talking a lot

kindy = kindergarten

corker = something excellent

bumbag = fanny pack

click = kilometers (“It’s 10 clicks away.”)

tea = a snack

sticky beak = nosy person

fair go = a fair chance

bad finger = middle finger

“Piggy in the Middle” = the game “keep away”

“Buzz Off” = the game “Sparkle”




No comments:

Post a Comment