Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Our "Winter" Adventures

In the past few months we have still managed to keep fairly busy.  Our adventures have changed a bit, but we managed to get through what seemed to be a very LONG winter. (July, August, September) 

In July we went to a charity event called, Rapt in Ruby RedKite Colour Ball.  It was a black tie event to raise money for children’s cancer.  We went with several of our friends and had a nice time.  Everyone dressed in red, black, or white and there were drinks, canapes, music, and a large silent auction.  The RedKite organization puts on several events throughout the year so I hope we can attend more. 






As July went on, I began to teach more often each week and Luke’s back situation continued to deteriorate as he experienced more and more pain.  By the end of the month he made a visit to the Emergency Room and ended up in the hospital for a few days before finally meeting with the appropriate doctors to get to the bottom of what was going on.  **His blog about his back will be coming soon with more details.  I've requested that he write it for all of you to read! 


I had my first experience celebrating my birthday in the winter this year.  I also got to be “older” than Lori for the first time!  J  (Each year since we were little, she has always enjoyed reminding me that she is a minute older than me.)  Erin had us over for a Mexican fiesta dinner complete with decorations, a cake, candles, and non-alcoholic margaritas for me!  It was a fantastic night!!!



Birthday Brekkie with Luke at our favorite little cafe, Thelma and Louise

Shangri-La

Erin's friend, Gretchen was in town



We were informed of a KSU alumni event that would be taking place the first week in August.  The president of K State, President Schulz, and a few others made the visit to Australia to focus on their study abroad programs.  They set up an event in Sydney for area K Staters to meet.  Luke was unable to attend as he had just been released from the hospital the day before, but Erin and I went to the dinner and really enjoyed the whole evening.  We came away from the evening with Erin becoming the new Sydney KSU Alumni group president!  Our next event is next week. 





A few friends and I began doing weekly hikes/walks each weekend.  There are so many options in the Sydney area that we had no problem coming up with which to do next.  We did coastal walks, bush walks, city walks, and trail walks.  I have two books that give specific directions of where to go, how to get there, and what to look for along the way.  They have been very helpful! 

Spit Bridge to Manly 10km



Balls Head to Berry Island 8km


Interesting "Bush" walk!











The rest of August consisted of doctor visits for both, Luke and myself as well as Luke’s first back surgery on August 24.  Having my flexible job enabled me to be at the hospital with Luke that week.  I tried to keep him from being too bored while all he could do was lie in bed so we watched TV, movies, played games and looked at baby magazines.  Erin kept me company at the hospital during both of Luke’s surgeries and we had some serious games of Skip Bo on those days!  She has been such an incredible friend to both of us.  Once Luke was able to come home, we thought of ways to help his recovery time go by a little quicker so we rented and borrowed many movies to watch.  We even rented all of the Harry Potter series one week and watched them day after day. 


I had my next big dose of being homesick around this time.  There were many things that contributed to this.  Number one to this was trying to control my emotions and pregnancy mood swings.  WOW, I was scary, snappy, and cranky A LOT!  I was not enjoying the abrupt halt to our exciting and new weekly Australian adventures.  I was adjusting to working full time again with many days being a challenge. I was attempting to take care of Luke although I couldn’t speed up his recovery in any possible way no matter how much I prayed for it.  I needed to keep up on laundry, cooking, cleaning and just functioning as a normal person but I couldn’t seem to find the energy.  I was obviously behind on my blog updates, emails, and even just my ability to talk to anyone on the phone or Skype because by the time I got home from school, it was too late to ring anyone in the US.  I was really bummed to be missing the A Chance for Children race, but Beth did an amazing job and many of our wonderful family members and friends participated.  Let’s just say I was a complete MESS for a while but thankfully, I somehow got through that rut!  (Sorry and thank you, Luke!) I know these waves of homesickness are to be expected but it sure wasn't easy this last time. 


By September, we were able to finally tell everyone our good news of Baby Lucas coming which really perked both of our spirits up.  We decided to tell our families and close friends our news a little earlier though.  We managed to do this with most by Skype which made it so much more exciting for us.  We used our Flip video camera to secretly video our family’s reactions!  I love going back and watching these clips.  J


A few of Luke’s colleagues from Kansas City were in town for work so it was nice to spend some time with them.  We went on a Ghost Tour Walk in the Rocks one night.  It wasn’t scary as I had hoped, but we did get a good history lesson on that area and hear some old convict stories.  Then Luke and I made a visit to the Sydney Aquarium one weekend.  We saw a lot of interesting sea life and we were really fascinated by the Lego exhibits going on! 


Check out those orbs!






We had to have this picture taken, too!

Guess what?  The shop owners don't like you taking pictures when you try on sunnies you aren't intending to buy!! Oops!


By the middle of the month Luke had a relapse in his recovery and we were back at the doctor hearing the devastating news that he would need a second back surgery in the upcoming weeks.  Wrapping up the month and our Winter season was my two week School Holidays (the break between Term 3 and 4) and a last minute decision to go on a girls trip to New Zealand! (blog coming soon!)


What a cold and dreary Winter it has been!!!!  Now bring on that warm Spring and Summer!!!

Here are the latest words and phrases we’ve heard:

 the shops = the stores around our community

serviette = napkin

theatre (in a hospital) = operating room

pashing = making out

pash = a long passionate kiss

“good onya” = good for you, well done

bikkie = biscuit (which is really a cookie or cracker!)

“not my bowl of rice” = “not my cup of tea”

Footy = Australian Rules Football

“Bob’s your uncle” = everything is fine

chook = chicken

digger = soldier

scratchy = instant lotto ticket

No comments:

Post a Comment