Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Monday, January 10, 2011

I Married MacGyver

Luke and I have been in our new apartment now for two weeks.  We are finally getting things put in their place and making a list of the things we still need.  I have loved that the Australian Christmas/Boxing Day/New Year’s holiday work schedule has allowed Luke to take off more days than he would have if we were still in KC.  This has let us get things accomplished together as well as have some relaxing “us” time that his travel schedule has been interfering with.  We even decided to go get massages last week.  Neither of us has had a massage since our honeymoon and we decided we both needed it and deserved it after some of the stress we’ve encountered so far. (Resolution #2- check!) 
We found a safe looking place close to our apartment.  Neither of us has had a Thai massage before so we thought we should try it out.  We went with the package that included foot reflexology since we’ve been mostly transporting ourselves by walking everywhere!  I’m not sure if I loved that part most or the part where I happened to open my eyes and see an Asian man standing on Luke’s back and then again later standing on his calves!!!  So glad I could giggle with my face down on the table!  Part of Thai massage is some stretching and a lot of firm pressure, which can apparently include standing or leaning on.  I guess they thought Luke needed that.    
For our new apartment we’ve had to buy new furniture but also the little necessities that go with a new place- cleaning supplies, trash cans, appliances, cords, hangers, etc.  I forgot how much time it takes to move into a new place- even a tiny apartment requires so much even with just the basics.  Luckily, Luke’s boss and his wife had several items that they have sold to us for when they move back to the US in February.  All we have left to get is a dining room table and chairs and then some little things along the way to make it feel more like home.  I’m so glad I brought several picture frames and pictures with us.  It’s so nice to see your smiling faces staring back at us!  It was really difficult getting nice new things for the past 2 years in our new house and then having to pack them all away so soon.  When we come back home it will be so nice to have all of those things again.  J 
In the Land of Oz washing and drying your clothes is a whole new ballgame!  In a small apartment, like ours, there is only a small space for a washer OR dryer.  Most people over here hang everything outside on a clothesline (which we have been supplied with to the side of our building) or hang clothes on a rack inside and/or outside on their balcony to dry.  We were introduced to a handy little machine called a Washer/Dryer Combo!  This machine looks like a front loader washing machine but it is also able to dry your clothes.  Once you wash a very small load of laundry you can either take it all out to hang up to dry or take out some of the clothes because you can’t dry it all at once in the machine.
The first day we attempted this was quite a process.  It took about an hour and a half to wash the first load and then another 2 hours or longer to dry it.  Laundry Day is actually Laundry DayS!  ;)  Add this to my learning experience over here. 
I forgot to mention the ordeal in even getting it set up.  I was the one home on the delivery day for the washer/dryer and fridge to arrive.  First they brought in the washer/dryer and the man told me we would need to buy an extension hose and something else because the one that was attached wasn’t long enough and something else needed an attachment.  I made him tell me 4 times so I could write down exactly what we needed to buy even though I knew Luke would probably know.  I just knew I needed to be prepared when Luke asked me why they didn’t install it as planned.  Next, I noticed that the door wouldn’t close because the washer/dryer was sticking out a little too much.  One more thing- the washer/dryer is under the counter in the bathroom so we think closing the door is a necessity!  The delivery guy didn’t seem as worried as I was so he and the other guy went outside to get the fridge from their delivery truck.  For some reason they brought us a dirty fridge, dirt on the inside and out, and we had ordered a brand new one that should have come straight from the warehouse.  Ugh!  Not again!!! 
Back to the washer/dryer- the delivery guys tried a few more times to make it fit for the bathroom door to close but had no luck so he told me just to go back to the store to tell them.  I knew this wasn’t going to be a fun conversation with Luke who at this point isn’t surprised when something doesn’t go right.  L  He left work early and we walked back to the store to discuss the two issues.  They told us sorry about the fridge and that they would send a new one next week but we could use this one until then.  We spent the next 40 minutes with the sweet old salesman who sold us the washer/dryer in the first place.  He was so concerned that it didn’t fit that he gave us detailed options on what we might be able to do instead and that they would gladly let us return it for a refund.  This was a relief!  Luke told them we’d get back with them about that but to deliver the new fridge for sure. 
We got home and MacGyver immediately got to work!  He was determined that we were not returning this machine, we were not going to only own a washing machine, we were not going to buy a separate dryer and put it in the office…we had all sorts of possible options but he was only concerned with one.  He immediately found his tools and got to work.  The next thing I know a small cabinet has been removed from the bathroom, the water nozzle has been adjusted, and the electrical box has been rotated.  Oh, my MacGyver!  So guess who got it to fit and work out???  J  The fridge was finally delivered about a week later and all is as well as it can be in the major appliances!
Living Down Under includes living with some critters we aren’t so used to.  We’ve seen bats around other areas in the evening but we finally experienced seeing a large bat by our apartment building one night.  We don’t mind them so much except without having AC in our apartment; we have our windows and balcony door open a lot…hope we don’t have a LARGE one fly in to visit!  That will be an interesting blog, won’t it???  There are numerous little lizards that also frequent this land.  There’s a long brick wall that lines the sidewalk up to the main road.  There are little drain holes throughout and on some days there will be a lizard in each one sticking its head out!  I’ll try to take a picture of it next time I see them because it’s a pretty funny sight!  We know spiders live all over the world but unfortunately some of the world’s most dangerous and deadly live here.  I have a paper that has a picture and description of the most common spiders in our area and all over Australia.  They are listed from most aggressive to least aggressive and give you all the important things you need to know about them.  (and also what to do if you get bit!)  The picture below is of a Saint Andrew’s Cross spider and as you can see it’s actually a really cool looking spider.  Also only cool because it is on the “low risk and non-aggressive” list!  I always have myself prepared for when I see one of the really big ones just in case.  We have been warned to use caution when opening trash and recycling bin lids as they are normally hiding there…they are. 
I’ve found some beautiful flowers in our area and decided I should take their pictures, too. Other things we have noticed around are all kinds of colorful and interesting birds, strange looking flies, and cockroaches.  The cockroaches can apparently grow to be very large during these summer months.  Oh goodie!    I bet you can’t wait to see a picture of a cockroach the size of my hand, can you???  I’m sure we’ll see some interesting snakes, ocean animals, and other random Australian wildlife while we are here, too.  Stay tuned for those blogs some other day! 
We are enjoying the location of our apartment because it sits up on a fairly quiet road.  We also like that the Neutral Bay Athletic Club and a park are right next door.  The club has tennis courts, lawn bowling, and other activities we still need to check out.  After all the waiting, searching, and headaches, I think we are finally close to calling this a home! 

Kind of fun walking by these...feels like Kansas!





This was my view one day in the park next door- me laying on the ground looking up to see this.  :)

This was our foot soak before our Thai Massages.  We had to laugh because Luke's feet barely fit in the little bowl. 

Washer/Dryer Combo **It may take a couple of days and several loads to get it all done but it's better than nothing!  :)

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better my old dryer took at least 3 hours to dry a load of laundry and if I had a quilt of something, forget about it. ALL DAY. I feel your pain. Imagine it taking that long and having to do the laundry of 4 people, two of which are children who go through at least 2 outfits a day. I got used to never having the laundry done. Now that we have a new one I think I am in laundry heaven:)

    ReplyDelete