Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Friday, October 15, 2010

Today was an amazing day!!!

I absolutely love being a teacher. I absolutely love being an aunt. Today, these two things I love crossed paths!! I did something this week that I have always wanted to do. On Tuesday and today I was able to volunteer in my nephews'classes. Trevor is in 3rd grade and Brayden is in Kindergarten in Liberty. I emailed both teachers and told them my story and reported for duty when school began on Tuesday morning. It was very interesting being in the volunteer side of school. Teachers and secretaries looked at me differently but the kids seemed to "know" who I was. ;)

The first part of the day I was in Brayden's kindergarten. His teacher sent me to the workroom to glue a project...I was a little disappointed because I wanted to be in the classroom but I worked hard and did my best in the project. I need to add that both of the boys have 1st year teachers this year. When I got back to the room I saw Brayden in action! I can't believe he is growing so fast and has already learned so much. I teared up numerous times that morning and finally left the room. I wasn't sure if it was the school atmosphere again, seeing the kids in this new way, or a combination of both. Either way, I was a mess! On our way to lunch Brayden held my hand and we swung our arms then he'd sneak in a little hug...tears again. I didn't know who was more proud of who at that moment!

Later I went to 3rd grade where the "big kids" are. Trevor amazed me at the questions he answered and the confidence he had with his peers. His friends announced To me over and over that he is the funniest and nicest kid in the class! Tears...

I left on Tuesday feeling a new set of emotions. Today I was much stronger! In kindergarten I helped in the room and even read a story and did a mini lesson. I was beyond happy!! Brayden was once again excited to have a visitor. It was great to see him work with his friends and be a polite little student! In 3rd grade I saw Trevor give a speech to try out for Student Council. He was so sincere and had great ideas! I was so impressed with him! It was so great to see him this way.

Today I was so proud to be an aunt who knows that they have great teachers, they are learning so much, and they are going to be so ok!!! :) I took the boys home from school as I floated
on cloud nine. I can't explain the pride I felt today and I am so glad I had this opportunity
to volunteer and see them in my favorite setting at school. I am still beaming with pride! :)

Thank you, move to Australia...

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea Lisa! Although, I couldn't get through the first one without crying and then the tears just kept coming as I was reading. Going to miss you guys so much, but you are going to have a great time! Love you!! -A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I had some tears too, catching up on your blog! I'm so glad you started it, so that we can keep up with you.
    What a great aunt and teacher you are! Australia is lucky to get you (for awhile!)

    ReplyDelete