Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quotes to Live By

In the nonstop organizing, cleaning out, and packing up process I have enjoyed finding random things that I apparently forgot I owned!  When I was going through my boxes of college items, I found a lot of great things to take me down memory lane but then I found one box that contained something I completely forgot about.  I had a giant stack of quotes written on scrap paper, printed off of the computer, torn out of magazines and newspapers, and saved in various other ways.  I started collecting and saving these quotes my freshman year.  Too bad that was the only year I did!  I came across several quotes that probably didn't mean as much to me then as they do at this very moment in my life. 

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; But often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."  -Helen Keller

I think I cried for about ten minutes when I read this.  I realized that although I am excited about our adventure I have still been very focused on all of the things behind that closed door.  There are several things on this list.  Leaving my teaching job has been the most difficult transition so far.  I think a lot of people think I am crazy for volunteering at school but it's the closure I have needed.  I have loved every second of it and I'm so thankful that my staff, students, and families have continued to let me!  I feel very fortunate to have had this time to do this.  I am sure I will be closely staring at that door again once we haved moved away from all our family and friends.  I know that it will take time and I don't feel wrong for feeling sad about these "closing doors."  I do promise to take this opportunity with open arms though and I am looking forward to our experience! 

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.  Dream.  Discover." - Mark Twain

This quote was another eye opener except this time it made me smile thinking we were given this chance to explore and we are taking it.  I can't tell you how many people have told us that they "wish they would've _______."  I don't think we'll be disappointed with this choice in the next twenty years! 

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone, and a funnybone." - Reba McEntire

I thought this was one Luke and I will both need to remember whether it is about marriage, work, or just every day life!  :)

And finally- "Friendship isn't a big thing- it's a million little things." - Author Unknown

We feel very lucky to have the friends and family that we do.  We appreciate all of the "million little things" you've all done for us along the way and the support you have given us in this process has been amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment