Leaving Kansas City with 90 degree summer weather and arriving back in Sydney to winter weather of 40’s and 50’s wasn’t easy! The first several days we were home it was cold, rainy, and windy. Luckily in the past couple of weeks it has been in the 60’s during the day and beautiful. The sun sets before 5pm and the nights are very cold though. Because we don’t have heat in our apartment, we purchased a small space heater. It’s been working fairly well for us but we are also very happy that we brought back our big, warm wedding quilt that Luke’s mom made for us. J
We also arrived back to find out that our landlord has decided to sell our apartment. They began doing showings the first Saturday we returned. The showings are every Wednesday and Saturday so we are constantly cleaning and can’t leave our personal belongings around like we like to! We have been assured that even if it is sold we are secured through the end of our lease. We are hoping an investor buys it and wants us to continue living here…but doesn’t increase our rent. We’ll keep you posted.
We have tried to get back into our touristy weekend adventures especially because the weekdays have been so busy for both of us. One day we took the ferry over to Watson’s Bay. First we started out the morning with a good brekky at our favorite café, Thelma and Louise’s and then walked around the Rocks Markets. When we got to Watson’s Bay we had a delicious lunch at Doyle’s and then walked around for a bit. There is another big coastal walk that we will go back to do another day. There are many great views over there and we are hoping to have some whale sightings as this is a good time of year.
One night my friend Erin and I went to a Paint-Your-Own-Ceramics studio. I picked out a platter and she picked out a fruit bowl to paint. We had the option to do any design, use all of the paints, and use all of the tools they had available. We looked at several samples and pictures of items others have made. I found a picture of the Sydney skyline with the Harbour Bridge, city buildings, and the Opera House so I decided to draw something similar to it on my platter before I started painting. We had a fun night and I forgot how much I enjoyed doing something like this. For those of you wondering, my sisters and I were involved in 4H for many, many years and we did ceramics for a long time. I think I’ve still got it! ;) Erin and I were very happy with our final products. They were fired and ready to be picked up after about 5 days.
This past weekend Luke and I spent all day Saturday at the Taronga Zoo here in Sydney. Luke and I realized that neither of us have been to the Kansas City Zoo in way too many years so it was nice to make our first visit to this one. The views are incredible especially with the animals included! We plan on going back a few more times while we are here. Enjoy some of our pictures! Then on Sunday we went to Bondi Beach. We went to one of the best places for Take Away fish and chips and then had a picnic while we watched a small surf competition. There was also a Winter Celebration going on so they had fake Christmas trees all over and even an ice skating rink on the beach. As you’ll notice in the pictures of the ice skating, people are wearing anything from shorts and t-shirts to sweaters and jeans. The temperature can feel drastically different depending if you are in the sun or in the shade. We also liked that they had plastic seals that kids could sit on and be pushed around by their parents while they skated. Later we walked around the Bondi Vintage Markets. There are markets all over the Sydney area every weekend and we like walking around to see what different things are for sale. It will be something we’ll put on your “to do” list when you visit us. J
Not having a 4th of July celebration this year was weird for us but we ended up going to dinner with a group of friends and had the closest thing to a “barbie” that we could! Please feel free to send us any pictures or stories of what you did for the long weekend. We’d love to hear. J
Actually, we’d love to hear from all of you about how your summers are going and what you are doing to keep busy. We miss you!!!!!
Ice skating on the beach. See what I mean about the clothing options? You will see all seasons represented!
Great Views to the city from here! (Yes, I only moved over here with two sweatshirts...my BJF one and this Baker one which is why they show up in so many pictures!) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment