Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Thursday, April 14, 2011

What does that say?

Over the past couple of months I’ve been taking pictures of interesting signs that I see around the city and also on our little trips.  There definitely are some interesting ones out there!  I will add more as I see them but here's a start!

First I wanted to share the latest Australian words I’ve heard over the past several weeks though. 
biscuit- cookie
ta – thank you
brumble – after you’ve had several beers then you go for a stroll/stumble “Join me for an evening of brumbles!”
smashed – got rid of quickly “Wow! I smashed that pizza!”  Or “You really smashed that bottle of wine!”
ripper – great or fantastic
kip – sleep
togs, bathers, swimmers, cossie’s – swim suits (the word you use depends on what part of Australia you live in)
*cossie meant “swim costume” which is what swim suits were referred to back in the 60’s
touch wood –  knock on wood
swamped – chock-a-block
hamper – basket (like a basket of Easter goodies or a gift basket full of items)
“Gives me the Sh*ts” – annoys me
cuppa – “Please join me for a cup of coffee.”
surname – last name
heaps – a lot
bench – kitchen counter
partner – wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, any significant other
*Although Luke and I are married, many Aussie’s will refer to me as his “partner” and rarely say “wife.”
boot – trunk
bonnet – hood
flatmate – roommate
joggers – running shoes
What’s his head – what’s his name
This was the sign from the hot summer advertising air conditioning. 

I've never seen this one back home.

A liquor store in the city

This is my favorite!  A personal training sign about "birthday suit alterations!"

Struz found this sign on our beach walk.  Lost Parrot?

This is a sign in the unisex bathroom of one of our favorite cafes. 
Classy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment