While Luke has been gone this week I have tried to keep very busy. The worst part has been going to sleep. I’m already a light sleeper but geez, every noise has been keeping me awake this week! This is so dumb but I even locked the balcony door…keep in mind we are on the 14th floor of this extra security building so I’m not sure if I thought Spiderman was going to scale the wall and sneak in or what! Oh well- it made me feel better! Luke finally got home this morning around 7:00 a.m. after taking the red eye home from Melbourne and then had to be back in the office for meetings by 9:30. Poor guy! I at least saw him for 30 minutes.
My friend Julie Charay was in the Peace Corp right after college. While she was in Africa she met a girl named Kyra from California and they became good friends. Kyra met an Aussie and they got married and moved here to Sydney about 3 years ago and just had a baby about a month ago. Julie put us in contact with each other and she has been great! She already has the accent after 3 years so watch out! J She lives in the area we are hoping to move to so talk about a small world! The other day we had coffee and she answered my 50 questions. It was nice to have an American who truly is living in the Australian culture to know the answers and tell me all of the things we should know and things we should do outside of the touristy things. Then yesterday she invited me to go on a walk with her and her friends and all of their little babies. I of course loved that! It was interesting to hear them talk about the same things we talk about at home when a group of girls gets together. :) One of them is a teacher and the other actually works for Luke’s competitor. They were able to give me more direct information about casual teaching and just getting into schools and groups the easiest way. The school year is about to end in the next few weeks and then doesn’t start back up until the very end of January. They said they have the “summer off” which still sounds weird for December and January! So it looks like I won’t be able to really start until February which is ok. I have already offered my babysitting abilities to them until then so I hope they take me up on it. The maternity leave over here is very extended so most of them stay home as long as possible!
The best thing is that Kyra has invited us to have Thanksgiving dinner with them at their house. I might have teared up when she asked me the other day. She still makes her Australian in-laws celebrate which I think is great! I am so thankful Julie introduced me to such a great person. So when I think about the holidays coming up, that knot in my stomach comes back but I know we will be fine. We can still be thankful for everything even if we aren't right there to share it with you. :) We just want to hear how everyone is spending their holidays and what you are cooking!!!!
I have decided I will start including the lingo that I have heard used for you. Most of it makes sense but some of the words that are used are very random! I still think I sound weird when I say some of them but I’m trying. J
G’Day = hello, morning, afternoon…they really do use this A Lot
Rubbish = trash
Lift= elevator
Mobile = cell
Chemist = pharmacist
Barbequed = Grilled ***this was a big bummer one day when I ordered thinking I was getting a different flavor! ;)
Bloody Hell= oh crap! (or insert other inappropriate words here) **This one ONLY sounds good with the accent. J Try it!!!
Dag = I'm an idiot (I'm such a dag! I can't believe I said that!) *this is how I heard it used
Booking = reservation (I’d like to make a booking, please.)
How are you going? = How are you doing? How’s it going?
Brekky = breakfast
Nappie = diaper
Pram = stroller
Dummy = pacifier
Sunnies = sunglasses
Take Away = to go
Reef and Beef = Surf and Turf
Footpath = sidewalk
Torch = flashlight
Instead of saying “you’re welcome” they always say “No Worries”
And my favorite that I’m really trying to incorporate is saying “lovely” and “beautiful” in place of my usual “awesome” and “great.”
“This café is just lovely!”
Them- “You’re enjoying Sydney?” Me- “yes” Them- “Beautiful!”
So I hope everyone has a LOVELY day! Cheers, Mates!
No comments:
Post a Comment