Visit to Sydney in August

Visit to Sydney in August
Luke and Lisa Down Under

Monday, November 1, 2010

Leaving...on a jet plane...

Trying to figure out what you need to pack to move across the country is not easy. There are so many things you think you need but when you have a limited amount of what you can take- it's time to prioritize! This was obviously a difficult and time consuming process for Luke and me considering we needed to leave for the airport at 2:00pm and we were running out the door at 3:00pm because we were still packing, organizing, and weighing our luggage and boxes! (You'll be happy to know that we impressed the lady at the counter because we had everything right at 50 pounds or right under and properly labeled! :) )

I really don't know what we would do without our parents. Luke and I are both very fortunate to have very helpful, supportive, and understanding families. This entire process has been difficult on everyone! From the trips back and forth moving boxes, to finding space to house all of our storage, to listening to our concerns and excitement in going...we really don't know how to thank all of them enough. So if you see any of them, tell them good job, thank you, and how impressed you are with them!!! :) Thank you to the Ammeen's, the Freeman's, the Strahm's, and Angie & Zerek for also storing some important items for us at your houses!!!!  You have no idea how much we appreciate it!


When we left on Thursday evening, we had our families and some friends there to see us off. I was disappointed that we were so rushed. By the time we got there, got all 17 items inside to check in, and visited with everyone for a few minutes, it was already time to go through security! Ugh...I hate even thinking about that moment even right now. After I went through security, I was putting my shoes back on and I turned around and looked up to see all of them peeking over at us through the window. Then we had to hurry and go because they were calling our names at the counter because we were the last people to board! As we sat down in our seats my heart was racing at how quickly everything was happening all of a sudden. It was definitely that feeling of, "I just need...one...more...hug...from EACH of them!" When the plane took off I lost it. All Luke could do was rub my hand because I couldn't even look at him. Please don't get me wrong, I am excited about being here, but take it as a compliment, people!!! I MISS YOU!!

We flew to Denver then to LA. Our flight from LA to here was 3 1/2 hours late. We were already on the plane so we tried to get some sleep while we were waiting. It wasn't what I would call "fun" but at least they got whatever it was fixed before we flew out over the ocean for 15 hours! Once we got to Sydney, we were very lucky to have a smooth process through customs and all of our bags and boxes made it. We had very helpful workers who also taped up the boxes that got holes and tears in them. They even helped us wheel everything out to meet our driver...or should I say driver-s! He had to call another car to help load up. Again, very nice and accomodating people!

We have been in a hotel for the weekend and then later today we'll be moving to our temporary housing for the next month.  We will keep everything packed in our boxes until we actually move into our real place next month. Until then, we'll be living out of our suitcases and hoping we have everything we wanted to make it over here! We are lucky to live in a location where we can get most, if not all of the things we will want and need.




Sorry I'm writing so much! I'm trying to get caught up finally. I'll make my next update about our first week of adventures.  Hope you all had a great Halloween!  Luke and I went to see SAW 3D so that was all the Halloween we got!

No comments:

Post a Comment